Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

Slacker Ambition

I've been playing and recording music since 1997 under one particular name. A friend of mine and I used to pass time at work by doing rune readings. It seemed that nearly every time he drew the first rune, the rune that describes the self or your current situation, he drew the warrior. I had a tendency to draw one particular rune also, not the warrior, a different rune. We would sometimes jokingly call each other by those names.

In 1997, I found myself for the first time without a band so as I sat down with my four track tape recorder to write some songs I used my rune name. Actually, every time that I've done a project on my own I've used that name for it. Now that you can google anything I've found that there was a regional band that used that name from 1995 to 1999. I think that I first heard about the band sometime around 2001.

Since they were no longer using the name and I had already been using it for four years I decided not to worry about it. I didn't really give it any thought, which was a mistake on my part, until I tried to sell my music on line.

That was when I ran in to a little trouble with the other band. Actually I think they were getting the profit, if there was any, from my work on one particular site. (If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm not saying the band name because I don't think I owe them the publicity.) So for the last three years I've let my solo work sit on the back burner while I've worked on other projects, another mistake on my part.

For the last couple of weeks, I've been searching for a name to restart the project. I googled every name I thought of and every name was taken, sometimes by multiple bands. I've finally found a name that's suitable for me, and after googling it, it appears to not be already taken so I'm claiming it now.

On February 3rd, 2012 my project is officially known as Slacker Ambition.

No comments:

Post a Comment