Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Mom Arrested for Son's Tattoo

This family lost a son and brother, Malik, in a car accident. Malik's 10 year old, younger brother told his mom, "I want to get a tattoo with Malik on it, rest in peace." The mom agrees. (I'm not saying I would let my child get a tattoo, but I'm not judging.)

In 2010 a law was passed that states: "it shall be unlawful for any person to tattoo the body of any person under the age of 18, except for a physician or osteopath." I didn't realize that there was such an epidemic of underage tattoos that a group of politicians needed to get together and decide that it was important enough to pass a law prohibiting it. (I also didn't realize that underage tattooing was a subject that falls under the purview of a political body.)

There is no mention that the mother is being accused of neglect, abuse, that they are are taking the son away from her, or even that social services is investigating her. The police only charged her for allowing her son to get a tattoo. The mother said, "He’s my child, and I have the right to say what I want for my child. I can’t go tell anybody else what I want for their child.” This law is another example that fits into the category of the average person doesn't know what is best for himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment